I didn’t know there is a county called Rutland. Forced to watch Rutland Weekend Television by an older brother, I thought it was an imaginary place dreamt-up by Eric Idle in one of his moments of madness.
What a pleasant surprise to discover that this small county is host to one of the most beautiful areas in the East of England. Great care has been taken to make the walking easy, much of it tarmacked and the rest well trodden and cared for paths.
On the first day I walked the 16 mile outer bank. Walking anti-clockwise just past the Macmillan Way Dam a crowd watched a kids fun day run raising cash for Sports-Relief. I stopped for lunch at the Harbour Café at Whitwell which had welcome air-conditioning as it was surprisingly hot.
I camped at Lakeland Estates on the south shore of Rutland Water for £6 per night.
112 acres of land also used by Virgin Balloons to launch flights when conditions are right.
Speak to Richard on 07850 131666 and try book area 9 as this has beautiful views 110 metres above the water. Post code for the site is LE15 8RN.
On the second day my walking partner and I took the shorter route around the Hambleton Peninsular. We stopped at Finches Arms for lunch which gets very busy so book in advance if you plan you walk on a weekend or during holiday breaks.
Important Route Change
On the satellite map a walk through the Anglian Water nature reserve had potential, and for £2.70 I thought it might be a worthwhile cut through to the Hambleton peninsula. Unfortunately there is no route through so instead we walked through Egleton and along the road to join the main road to Upper Hambleton. Both roads have paths for walkers and cyclists so are not difficult to walk.
Distance: 16 + 9 Miles
Elevation Range: 269 to 406 feet + 273 to 364 feet
Weather Check: Oakham, Rutland
Map: Click here and once loaded select “Leisure” map
Route Card: Two Circular Walks Around Rutland Water & Upper Hambleton Route Cards
Download: Walkers Route Card Template for Word 2010
Local Website: http://www.rutlandwater.org.uk/
Facebook Page: Rutland-Water-Nature-Reserve
Twitter posts on Rutland Water
- 25/05/13 16:54: Cycled through fields of gold from Peterborough to Rutland Water. Fantastic views. And now a lovely sunny evening.
- 24/05/13 15:32: Rutland Water Bike Ride - great event http://t.co/cGhUfHhgiF
- 24/05/13 07:38: @cotnm Just east of Leicester has potential for steep grades. SW of Rutland water quite 'lumpy' as well. I'm doing humber area tommorow.
- 23/05/13 21:15: My fiancé asked if I knew the trumpet solo Rutland Water- so obscure it's not even on YouTube..."no darling, I don't recall that one!" ;)
- 23/05/13 11:27: Congratulations to Mandy West, winner of our May Photo Challenge! She wins a copy of The Rutland Water Ospreys http://t.co/6jByfTpwlX
- 23/05/13 11:20: @anglianwater's Rutland Water Osprey chicks first to hatch http://t.co/wCw471wzLu
- 21/05/13 16:21: @wkirstein have you got a nice photo of Rutland/the water/church you will be willing to share for this council publication?
- 20/05/13 17:06: Gym sesh for the 1st time in a while. Need to get in training if I'm going to cycle round Rutland Water
- 20/05/13 02:49: Great to see so many people out Walking and Cycling at Rutland Water today. Beautiful Bluebell carpet in the woods. http://t.co/V6Rycx18R1
- 19/05/13 17:25: #365project Lunch alfresco looking over Rutland Water http://t.co/crFvwtVeMt